Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Little Things in Life

Oftentimes, it’s the little things in life.  I ordered a CD from my childhood that I remember loving and wanted Ellie to have the same opportunity.  It’s no longer being reproduced (cause I’m that old apparently), but thankfully I found it online.  What did we do before the Internet… oh, that’s right - read, not spend as much time on the computer. J

So, I couldn’t wait to open it!  Jon thought it funny that I was so excited about “Ellie’s” CD.  Ignoring his sarcasm, I grabbed Ellie, and popped it in the computer.  Knowing that Ellie didn’t yet have the same attachment to the nostalgic songs, I had no expectations.  But, she LOVED it!  Of course, she’s a very musically inclined kid.  She loves music and dancing, and there is nothing sweeter than watching her shake her little tushy and shimmy her shoulders!  My mom says I used to do the same thing when I was a baby.  It’s so special to see our kids displaying their “mini-me” character traits.

I love that I was exposed to so much music - and wonderful music at that, as a child.  I have the fondest memories of my Dad popping in a soundtrack score from a classic movie like The Mission, Glory, or Avalon to name a few.  He would work at his computer while we kids did our homework.  I remember at the time thinking, (and saying, I’m sure) “Dad, this music is boring!” And yet, I grew to have such a great appreciation of movie scores and classical music.  I am so thankful that my Dad introduced me to this wonderful part of my life.  Jon and I are always talking about the movie scores we love-Braveheart, Pride and Prejudice, etc.

This was just one of many times I can recall being exposed to music by my parents.  We lived back in the days of “bring a book, or a card game to keep you busy” when we’d venture out on long family vacations in the car.  We never had a TV or portable DVD player to watch movies.  I’m sure my parents would have benefited from the lack of bickering and overall noise, and yet, there is something I feel lost in today’s culture BECAUSE of the fact that we have so many “quick fixes” available to make life more “comfortable”.  What so wrong with being uncomfortable once in while, anyway.  (No Lord, that’s not an invitation). J  I remember being frustrated that we couldn’t watch a movie, and yet-in those times, my siblings and I were forced to be creative, to think outside the box for entertainment.  We would have never listened to the endless Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series on audiotape, or arranged and sang “White Christmas” in 3 part harmony while driving through the bleak darkness of Oregon on our annual summer trip to Washington.  Or read the countless “choose your own ending” books.  Those were awesome!  Yes, these are the times I relish, and really miss as an adult.  But, there is hope.  Hope of passing on some of those seemingly boring, but wonderfully enriching experiences to my own kids.

Back to music – another memory I have of my Dad is from our long car rides that were so thrillingly orchestrated with my Dad’s selection of “on-the-road driving mixes”.  These mixes included the movie scores mentioned above, as well as an awesome selection of western instrumentals (Wyatt Earp, Dances with Wolves, and Themes from Silverado).  It’s funny, because the music really livened up the trip.  The desert hills of Utah and Nevada, and the rolling and “Treesy” (to quote my mother and Grandmother) mountains of Wyoming, Montana and Oregon - would have been FAR more boring and mundane without the sounds of “Big Valley” and “The Magnificent Seven”, or “How the West Was Won” blaring through our modest minivan speakers. J  I even find myself searching to reconnect with the music of my childhood as a way of remembering such wonderful times with my family growing up. This past summer, Ellie and I drove to Lake Tahoe for a family reunion with Jon’s family.  As I was driving through Mammoth, I realized, I needed that wonderful music that used to make these trips like my own movie adventure.  So, thanks to modern technology, while stopping for gas, I used my iphone to these same songs using itunes.  I felt so invigorated and loved driving the long journey with my musical co-pilot.  Ellie slept right through it…perfect. J

For these wonderful additions to my musical repertoire, I say, “Thanks Dad, Pappy, Skipper”!  Thanks for making us expand our musical taste and for introducing us to such a wonderful part of musical culture.

But, my father was not the only one who enriched my musical upbringing.  My mom was also instrumental.  She was the person who always encouraged us to listen to Christian radio.  Don’t get me wrong, I grew up loving (and to this day, still enjoy) Christian radio.  It is a necessary and important resource for providing safe listening for your kids.  But, like any teenager, I wanted to hear the “cool music” that my friends were listening to also.  But, Mom found a way to get us hooked on Christian music.  She introduced us to Christian Pop music, and about that time, the Christian music scene exploded, and artists like DC Talk, Carmen, Newsboys, Jars of Clay, Point of Grace and Michael W. Smith became very accessible.  Every summer, our local Christian radio station, KLRD (now AIR1) hosted a huge summer weekend concert series called "Superfest".  Thousands would convene on the lawns of the Glen Helen Park for the event.  It was really fun!  Sure, my secular music education is severely lacking, but I’m not too worried.  The “good” music; classic hits of every era, are cyclical it seems, and always become popular once again.  J

When I was a little girl, my Mom also encouraged us to learn our Bible verses and Biblical principles through music.  I can still hear a song from “Psalty” and “Charity Church Mouse” and remember the lyrics.  Can I get a shout out for “Music Machine” or “Bulldogs and Butterflies”?  Before the days of Veggie Tales, we listened to “G.T. and the Halo Express”. It’s amazing how music can really bring back a whole host of emotions and memories.  Music is a most definite tool that God has used throughout my life to teach me, encourage me, heal me, and convict me. 

A hug, a kiss, and a huge thanks to my Mom; for really pushing music with core values and character traits that I now hope to share with my children.

Let’s bring this tangent home!  The CD I just received is “Songs from the Beginner’s Bible – by Jodi Benson”.  She was the original voice of Disney’s “The Little Mermaid”. As a child, that movie had just come out, and hearing Ariel sing about Jesus was all I wanted to listen to.  Granted, listening to this 1991 CD in 2011 was a little different that I remembered, but many of the lyrics came flooding back to me.  I was so excited to share my favorites with Ellie, such as the “Creation Story”, and the “Tower of Babel”.  Ellie was so interested! I’m sure it had nothing to do with the fact that her mom was reliving her dreams of being a Disney movie character, and was acting out and singing every song to her.  Nope, no fear here of raising a dramatic daughter! J  But, she really did get excited.  Which just goes to show-you never realize how much your children are watching everything you do!  They are so impressionable, even at such a tender age.  I was so delighted to share a moment of “worship” with my little 1 year old, and was also reminded of how I need to watch my attitude and actions, so that I can do a better job of showing my little one Christ though her broken and redeemed Mommy.

Thank you Jesus, for the gift of music, and the blessing of forgiveness!

1 comment:

  1. I love that I can picture you singing and dancing with little Ellie. Precious.

    ReplyDelete