Saturday, January 29, 2011

Freefalling


This week shaped up to be pretty eventful-even though I didn’t realize it until I started thinking back on all that occurred throughout the past 6 days. 
     On Monday, I was blessed beyond measure to have dinner with some very precious girlfriends who have been in my life though the college years, dating, getting married, and now raising children.  It’s so fun to relish in their life experiences, Godly perspectives, and honest wisdom about the challenges of life and what we’ve each learned so far along the way.  I am so thankful to have such precious moments as these.  My wonderful hubby was sweet to watch Ellie that night so that I could get away for a much needed Girls’ Night Out!
     On Tuesday, My precious baby sister turned 25!  How old do I feel!  Although she was incredibly busy all day, we were able to celebrate through phone calls, texting and facebook.  Aahh-technology.
     Thursday boasted a whole host of emotions.  Excitement, happiness, disappointment and a bit of overwhelm.  First off, we celebrated my sister at a surprise birthday dinner.  It was so what she needed after a frustrating day at work. 
     Before dinner, my principal called and asked if I had come to a decision regarding my plan for teaching next year.  There was a sense of urgency, as she had just learned of news that our school would have to let go out one teacher this next school year, and my decision would impact whether or not that needed to happen.  I have been waiting to share all of this with family and friends, as the news was hush hush…until now.  After much prayer and contemplation, Jon and I have decided to take a leap of faith, and prepare for the financial sacrifice it will be for me to stay home with our children after the close of the school year.  It was an easy decision, and yet, I labored over if I was thinking selfishly, or I was just struggling with wanting to please everyone else.  I am so excited to say that once we made the decision-God granted the “peace that passes all understanding”.  It is now official – and while I am confident in our choice, and in God’s provision for the future-I was a little overwhelmed after I hung up the phone.  It’s kind of like the moment you start free falling on a rollercoaster.  It takes your breath away for just a moment.  And in the moment, you question if you’ll stay connected to the track and safely finish the ride’s journey. 
     Before the phone call, I found out some disappointing news.  A house that I had found to rent is not available.  We are planning to move out of our house, while my Dad and step-mom move in, and we need to find something within our new price range.  I know that God is faithful, and will provide the right house when we need it.  But, WOW what an endeavor.  It’s a little scary at times, not knowing something major such as where you’ll be living in a few months.  But God is faithful.  Throughout this whole decision making process, I have been comforted over and over again by the verse, “For I am about to do a brand new thing.  See, I have already begun…do you not see it?” – Isaiah 43:19
     On Friday, I was able to share my decision to stay home with my 5th grade team.  They were so supportive and excited for me.  What a blessing to work with such wonderful women!  I will really miss their support, wisdom, and witty humor.  I have been so fortunate to work with such incredible teachers, students, parents, and principal!  I am so grateful for the past 5 years I’ve had at Smiley Elementary, and I am especially comforted in knowing that God is still using even my leaving to provide for another.  A wonderful woman who is new to our school will be able to continue teaching at Smiley-which is great considering she has 2 children enrolled there.  God really does work everything for good according to His will.
     Saturday has brought the joy and celebration of my amazing Mom!  Her birthday is today, and she is such a fantastic support and source of wise counsel in my life, especially since my becoming a mom myself.  I was fortunate to have to the blessing of my Mom staying home with me, and I am so experience the same joys she provided us by being home.  It’s been fun to reminisce with her and reflect on how much I really love and appreciate all that my Mom has done for me throughout my life.  We had a wonderful time celebrating my mom tonight at a birthday party in her honor.  Happy Birthday Mom!
     Today was also a big day because I was able to witness my little Ellianah taking her first steps all by herself.  She has been practicing and ready for sometime.  But like her mommy-she is very cautious.  Jon is so great about helping her feel confident and secure about trying new things.  It’s remarkable to see how much she really trusts in her Daddy.  An awesome parallel of how I too should trust my Heavenly Father with a little more reckless abandon.  It brought me so much joy to see her take 4 or 5 big steps all by herself before collapsing in her Daddy’s arms.  No video yet…of course. But, we’ll catch her again soon enough!
     Tomorrow is Sunday, and I often forget that I need to really pay attention to what God wants to share with me for the upcoming week.  I hope to spend some quiet time reflecting, resting, and restoring.  To really hear His voice, his desires for me, his revelations to me of things to work on in my own heart.  For now, rest is calling. 

2 comments:

  1. So much in just a few days! I love that you are going to stay home and I really believe that you will enjoy every moment. Stephen and I are both grateful that we didn't end up getting a house before now (as we had planned) because our little apartment will afford me the opportunity to stay home with Gideon. Loved hearing your voice, I'll call you back soon (maybe tomorrow?). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week indeed! God is so good. I loved this post. It is a wonderful adventure, staying home. We'll be here to support you as you go! :)

    ReplyDelete