Monday, February 14, 2011

For God so LOVED the World-Happy Valentine's Day!

     Valentine’s Day is such a beautiful day to celebrate love and being loved.  Not just in the romantic sense, but in every sense of the word. I was researching the meaning of love, and stumbled upon a great article that referenced some key scriptures that God has used to show us how to love, and what love is really all about. 
     It stated “The Bible covers two types of love: agape and phileo. Agape love is represented by God's love for us.  The other kind of love, phileo, is considered "brotherly love."
     I was personally ministered to by these three verses, because I think they are a great reminder of how God loves his children (Agape), how we are to love God in return, and how we should love each other (Phileo).
     "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life."
     "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself" (Luke 10:27)
     "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails" (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a)
     One of the last passages of this article really got me.  It reminded me that I must choose to love my husband, my children, my friends, family, and even strangers-everyday.  I have to renew that desire and that purpose everyday.
     “But, above everything else that is demonstrated in God's Word, it's important to keep in mind that love/romance is an action. It's not passive, and it's not a feeling. It's a verb. It requires you to do something in order to bring it to pass. It also requires that you put the other person's wants and desires above your own. Whenever you need a reminder, go back and read 1 Corinthians 13. And remember, you don't have to do it alone. God's Spirit will work through you. All you have to do is ask.”
     I pray that I can show love to my friends, my family, my hubby and children, my colleagues and those I don’t know everyday.  It’s not always easy-but it IS a choice. Thankfully, as the passage mentions-I don’t have to do this all on my own (hallelujah).  God is the one who I must rely on daily, to provide me the desire and will to purposefully show love, and act in love to others.
I want to challenge myself to commit to that choice everyday.
     Happy Valentine’s Day!  Know that YOU are LOVED!

No comments:

Post a Comment