Sunday, February 21, 2010

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, it's back to work I go...

So, this week was eventful one; full of wonderful celebrations and challenges. I started back to work on Tuesday and my sweet 5th grade students threw me a surprise baby shower. It was a lovely way to distract from the fact that I was missing my baby so much! I realized just how lucky I am to return to a job that I love, since working is a must at this time in our lives. As much as I love my job-I daily long for my precious hunny-bunny and am counting down the days to spring break, when we get to spend two more glorious weeks staring at each other and cherishing a laid back schedule. Speaking of schedules, this week was crazy! Thankfully, I made it to school on time everyday-but it wasn’t without its challenges! Pumping during breaks, rushing home for late afternoon feedings, and to top it all off, I GOT SICK!! It’s amazing how germy a classroom can be. I literally walk in the classroom after a break, and ZING, I’ve got a full-blown cold. Thank God for cough drops, Kleenex with lotion, and recess breaks!

This week also welcomed little Ellie’s 2 month birthday! Yes, I am enjoying the phase of life, where you celebrate each and every new day, week, month! I want to soak up every moment of her first year-as many have warned of how quickly the time flies by. She has already changed so much, and I can see her becoming more and more interactive each day. I am amazed at how much joy mommyhood has brought me, and yet, I know God must delight watching us live out parenthood in our own lives. For then we finally have the chance to grasp a glimpse of his joy in being our Father. This week Ellianah started cooing and singing up a storm! She loves to lie on her changing table and gaze out the window. She will literally sit there and talk (coo) for a good fifteen minutes without a care in the world. She takes after her chatterbox mommy I suppose.


My sweet husband, Jon is another topic I’ve been meaning to address. My fabulous husband of six and a half years is the most amazing father, friend and husband! I am amazed at his tenacity and commitment to his career! He is currently completing his third year of residency, and year two of his Orthopaedic Residency program at Loma Linda University Medical Center. This year is the most grueling year of his 5 year program, and with only 4 months and 7 days to go (but who’s counting) – he is still able to laugh, go on family walks to the dog park, help with the groceries, and remind me to let him bond and comfort our baby when she’s wailing in his arms. (Mr. Incredible theme music inserted here). He averages 80 hours a week, and I really don’t know how he physically does it! I’ve been a working mom for 4 short days, and I feel completely defeated – yet I look at this amazing man who gets up everyday at dawn, and returns at dusk, and he JUST KEEPS GOING. It’s in these moments I realize how lucky I am to have such an amazing reminder of how little I have to complain about. In the meantime, I think I’ll dust off the ol’ pom-poms and cheer him to the finish line!

Bless you all! Until next time…

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, dear Erin. I was singing to myself "These are the moments, I thank God that I'm alive, these are the moments I'll remember all my life, I've got all I've waited for, and I could not ask for more." Such words sound like they could resonate with you as well. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working Moms = Superwomen!
    Glad to hear/see how happy you are and that everyone is adjusting. She's a doll, and you are blessed.
    By the way, with that BIG EAR, he shouldn't be able to say he didn't hear you! :-)
    P.S. I'm on blogspot too, but my background is not nearly as cute. Is that one offered by them, or do know of a way to find additional options (like myspace does.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind about my question. I just saw the link at the top of your blog. I'll see if I can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete